Tuesday 23 November 2010

How does your media product represent particular social groups?

I think my magazine is suitable to a range of different social groups, even though my target audience is  male and female teenagers (15-17 year olds). Although this is the audience I decided to design my magazine for, I feel that it is also suitable for other age groups such as a slightly older age group: 20-25 year olds perhaps. I think this because some of the articles I have chosen to include in my magazine are quite mature and are suitable for any music fan of this specific genre. I also feel that it could be suited to an oldr audience because of the simple layout I have used, which indicates maturity.



The images I have used in my magazine are aimed at male and female teenagers as this is the target audience I chose to represent. I think I have conveyed this by the style of images I have used, for example, my cover image is bright and fun, which relates to the youth of today.

I also think the general appearance of my magazine cover gives the impression of youth. For example, bright colours are used with lots of effects such as shadowing and outer glows around the masthead and headings. After analysing music magazines, I found that mamy magazines aimed at an older audience such as 'Classic Rock' used much more simple fonts and less bright, vibrant colours so I decided to go against this and use youthful looking colours and effects to create the impression of fun which I think relates to my target audience.






The fonts I chose to use also relate well to my target audience:  
Poplar STD is quite a rounded font and it looks really fun and quirky, which is why I decided to use it as I thought it would appeal to my target audience. Also, the bright red colour I have used also makes it look young and fun because it stands out well and is eye-catching. However, I also think this font is generall quite a simple font, so it may also appeal to an older audience.

Another factor which may appeal to my target audience is the features I have chosen to include in my magazine. For example, I have added interviews with 'new and upcoming artists' which would appeal to any music fan but especially young music fans as they are known to like to know whats happening as soon as it happens. However, I think the features included could appeal to any music fan if it was an artist they were interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment